Friday, May 11, 2012

The Play Date Cafe: Challenge 131

The colors at The Play Date Cafe this week are an unusual combination. Here's the color story:

These colors definitely took me out of my comfort zone, but I was determined to design a card with them. I decided to try dark green for a tree and orange for birds and see where it would take me. It was not good.

I tried again and this is what I ended up with.


Ah, much better.

This time keeping the dark green for the tree, and adding some black ink to the trunk to give it some depth of color - looking at it now, I think I'd prefer if the black came further up the trunk. I added orange flowers and a couple of birds in black and pale blue-y green (which is the closest to 'algae' I've got in an ink). I don't know if you can see it, but I stamped the tree twice, the second time with the branches slightly off. I wanted to recreate a sense of the unfocused, ethereal feel of the color story photo. I found some sticky ribbon in three different shades of green-y blue and used that to ground my tree.

I put three words in a triangular arrangement to make a sentiment and link the birds, trees & ribbon together. It looked a bit flat before I added them. I intented to make one black, but ended up with two blue-y green instead. Not sure how I feel about that.

All the stamps are from Treemenduous from There She Goes Stamps.


2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of beautiful bonsai - I'd love for you to link up with me at 52 Card Pickup this week!!

    http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/05/52-card-pickup-week-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about a card not turning out as you pictured in your mind. :) Had plenty of those!

    I like this swirly tree, and the stacked ribbons under the trunk. Gives it a classy 'pedestal' look!

    So glad you came to play with us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete