Wednesday, May 30, 2012
A Shaped One-layer Card
This card was an experiment and I'm not entirely sure it worked!
Inspired by the wonderful text-based cards folks are creating with their fancy cutting machines, I decided to try my hand at a shaped number card to enter this week's Less is More challenge: 'Not a square'. It's an anniversary card for my hubby on one layer, so it fits in with the theme of creating a masculine card at One-layer Wednesday.
I printed the number five in a very large font (500 point, I think) and cut it out. Then I laid it on my cardstock and cut around it to make my shaped card. The problem is that it's not very stable around the curve so it flaps a bit when it stands. If I try this again, I'll use thicker cardstock. Or maybe completely cut out the number in the front layer, but just cut the outline at the back. Or cut the number and adhere it to a card base that follows the outline of the number. I'm thinking a 5 cut from patterned paper and adhered to a card-base would be much more successful. Any tips?
I decided it looked a bit flat and sad in plain white... it needed a background pattern to make the shape of the number stand out, so I stamped a polka dot pattern all over in light blue. Then I added a simple, custom-made sentiment to say '5 happy years' and stamped a heart at either end of the sentiment. The hearts, dotty background and 'happy' are from TSOL; the other letters are from Lawn Fawn. To be honest, we don't usually exchange anniversary cards, but since our 5th anniversary is coming up this weekend much to our absolute shock (can it really be FIVE years already?), I thought it might be nice to mark it.
I think it's plain, but interesting enough for my husband to appreciate - he's hard to please when it comes to cards!
Thanks for stopping by,
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




A fab shaped card xxx
ReplyDeleteMarianne,
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary! He is going to love it because you made it with love for him. What a great idea for the shape.-Hugs Deanna
Happy anniversary Marianne - it's a lovely card made even more so as you've cut it out yourself. Great work and I'm sure your hubby will love it!
ReplyDeletehappy anniversary and about the card......, this is just perfect,
ReplyDeletegreat shape - the printing scaled up and cutting out is harder than it sounds isn't it! But your 5 is just great, and looks like it is balanced nicely.
ReplyDeleteI think a big number is a great idea for a shaped card - perhaps just cut it from the front next time and leave the back as a normal rectangle to give it stability? I love the idea of a number for an anniversary rather than a childs birthday too - may borrow that for ours ;-)
ReplyDeleteThis looks simply terrific Marianne!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"
I think you did an amazing amount of work to make this fab card and your husband is going to love it! Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteA fabulous card! LOVE it!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful anniversary card for your hubby!! I tried a sunflower and faced the same issues with stability...your card is very cool and super creative:)!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the lovely comments! My hubby loved the card and he displayed it proudly at the weekend. It did cause some confusion because it was our son's 4th birthday and folks attending the party were wondering who was 5!
DeleteGreat card. Love the idea of a number shaped card
ReplyDelete